In keeping with our promise to keep the congregation informed of developments as we progress through the Senior Minister Transition, we are pleased to announce that a search committee for the Interim Senior Minister has now been established. In accordance with our by-laws, last week the trustees and the deacons approved the nomination of the following members to the Interim Minister Search Committee:
For those of you who were unable to attend our first mid-hour two weeks ago, the Leadership Committee’s recommendation and the clear consensus of those present at that meeting, was that that we should look for an interim. There were many reasons for this, the principle ones being:
- The specialized knowledge and handling of transitions that an interim could bring us.
- The size and complexity of our congregation and its staff which make it unrealistic for us to expect to simply manage until we find our new Senior Minister.
- The benefit of having an interim help lead us through the discernment process that will be required in hiring our new Senior Minister.
- The poor track record of congregations that have attempted to get by or make do without an interim.
- The perceived need for an emotional neutral zone during the transition.
- The preference that a permanent Senior Minister would probably have for taking over from an interim.
Over the last few weeks we have also contacted several individuals, including the UCC Conference Minister for the Fairfield West Association, and some promising leads were generated which should enable the interim search committee to make rapid progress. It is still our hope to have an interim in place by the beginning of the 2013 program year and the permanent Senior Minister by the beginning of the following program year (September 2014). This is an optimistic scenario, but by no means unrealistic.
We have also been working on celebrations of Skip and Amy’s ministry with us. Preparations are under way for a Women’s Spring Luncheon on Wednesday, May 29th at 12:00pm at the church. There will be a Service of Tribute on Sunday, June 2nd where we will celebrate 19 years of service and ministry with Skip and Amy, followed by a special Fellowship Hour. Then, we move to our summer schedule on Sunday, June 9th where Skip will be preaching at the 8:00am garden service and we’ll celebrate Children’s Sunday at the 10:00am service. The annual All-Church Picnic will follow. That evening, there will be a final get-together at the New Canaan Country Club from 4:00-6:00pm. Watch your email, mailbox and the newsletter for details on these events.
We will continue to keep the congregation updated as the process unfolds or changes occur. In the meantime, please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions, concerns or comments.
Your Leadership Committee,